In this video tutorial we will learn in depth how to import the raw
images in Adobe Lightroom, do the basic retouch and then export the images as jpeg in desired size.
You should first import all the raw images saved on your local hard drive to the lightroom catalog. The catalog stores a record for all your imported photos. These records have information like metadata, ratings, keywords, steps to process your photos, reference of physical location of image on local drive.
Adobe Lightroom is a nondestructive method of editing photos, it never changes the original images and you can always return to the unedited images when ever you want.
You can see different modules in Adobe Lightroom :
1. Library : After importing the photos in Lightroom, this is where you will see the photos. You can view, sync, sort, manage, organize, and compare the photos here.
2. Develop : All the basic retouch of images can be done in this module. You can also see the history of different editing steps you take to edit the photos.
3. Map : This module gives you exacts coordinates of the location where your photos were captured on a Google map. Your camera needs to note the coordinates while capturing the image to see the exact location. You can also manually add the location in this module.
4. Book : You can design photographic books and save your books as PDF or JPEG files in this module. You can also create tutorial pdf’s on photography.
5. Slideshow : You can select layout templates, set playback options, and choose transitions to create beautiful slideshow of your collection of photographs.
6. Print : In this module you can specify the page layout and print options for printing photos on your printer. You can preview the page layouts from the list of templates available.
7. Web : You can create web photo galleries with you collection of photographs in this module. You can use the templates for creating web galleries.
For star trails basic retouch we will be using library and develope modules.
Once you import all the photographs in the lightroom catlog, you can see the imported photos in the library module.
You can select one image and then edit the same in the develope module, once the basic retouch is completed. You can now sync the settings of the edited image with the bunch of star trail images.
The develop module has different sub modules :
Below are few shortcuts which will be helpful for using Lightroom software.
You should always start the editing in correct sequence. It really helps if you stay with the right sequence and flow.
You should first start with lens correction, it will help you to correct the image distortion and vignetting either manually or automatically by selecting the respective lens profile.
In the Basic module you should follow the below sequence for retouching the image:
Contrast if needed
Clarity if required
Finally the colors by enhancing the vibrance and saturation
After adjusting the above parameters sync all the settings of this image with the remaining images in a sequence using the library module.