Oh Crop…!! Why is this image not fitting on my Instagram?
I don’t know why my Instagram feed is unable to show the complete photo I uploaded…!!
My images are taking so long to upload…I wonder why so?
These are some of the issues and questions that you may have come across while using some social media platforms to upload or view your images. So, many of you who are new to the whole buzz of social media, keep facing such problems and really don’t know the solution. All we want is to share a perfect photo but, how do we do that. Well, the answer to all this is quite simple, ‘IMAGE SIZING’.
Resizing your image helps reduce the file size and customise the image according to the relevant dimensions provided by the social media platforms for displaying the best image quality.
Let’s start by understanding some things first –
What is Image Sizing?
It simply means dimensions of an image. Image size actually determines the width and height of an image in pixels. While you can also measure the image in centimetres or inches, it is recommended that images which are to be uploaded on the web be measured in pixels. For the purpose of printing an image, one may use inches.
What is Aspect Ratio?
The aspect ratio of an image is simply the proportional relationship between its width and height. It is expressed with two numbers separated by a colon like 1:1, 2:1, etc.
Why is it so important?
Of course, it is important. You wouldn’t want your images uploaded in a distorted manner or cropped incorrectly to fit onto your feed. Your social media profile is the first thing that people see, and trust me, your first impression is always the last impression when it comes to social media. Especially, if you are a budding photographer or a new brand trying to acquire clients or followers through various social media platforms, it is essential that you know image sizing. You definitely don’t want viewers to look at shabbily cropped or distorted images and lose out on potential business.
How do I manage the images on my social media platforms?
That’s why we are here to help. Getting all your images perfect on your social media platforms is difficult isn’t it? Well, you don’t need to worry because we will help you with a quick guide to at least your top 5 social media platforms – Instagram, Facebook,Twitter, Linkedin & Youtube for now. We will look at all the dimensions/ aspect ratios you need to know to make your social media accounts look perfect.
It is certain that you may have come across this problem of trying to fit your portrait images while uploading on Instagram. Either part head would get cut off or the lower body would…you could just not accommodate the complete photo. This happens because Instagram has a set dimension for images you upload.
Photos that have a width between 320 and 1080 pixels, Instagram keeps that photo at its original resolution if the photo’s aspect ratio is between 1.91:1 and 4:5 (a height between 566 and 1350 pixels with a width of 1080 pixels). If the aspect ratio of your photo isn’t maintained, this social media platform crops your image to fit its desired ratio. When you share a photo at a lower resolution, Instagram enlarges it to a width of 320 pixels. Also, when you share a photo at a higher resolution, Instagram sizes it down to a width of 1080 pixels to make sure your image is perfectly uploaded. All this is done to make sure you get the best image quality displayed on your feed.
If what I shared above still seems complicated, just make sure you remember the following for –
Landscape Images: Whether it is landscape photo or a street photo, if it is horizontal, make sure your resolution is 1080×566 pixels at least.
Portrait Images: These are images which are vertically long. The image resolution recommended by Instagram in such cases is 1080×1350 pixels.
Facebook is one of the most successful social media platforms and provides huge opportunities for content engagement. Hence, your content needs to be perfect and to make sure that it is perfect Facebook follows certain image sizes to give you optimum image quality for better content sharing.
When it comes to Facebook, images that you upload either from your mobile or desktop automatically get set as per the predefined dimensions. However, let’s understand what these image sizes/ resolutions are –
- Profile Picture: Your profile picture is the first thing anyone see when they visit your page. Your profile picture must be 180×180 pixels with an aspect ratio of 1:1. While you follow this, make sure that the image you upload is sharp and clear or else the image, even if it is the desired pixels will look blurry or distorted.
- Cover Photo: It is a section located on the top of your Facebook page and you can upload only one image at a time with the least dimensions of 820×312 pixels. Images lower than this may look distorted.
- Images shared on Feed: Images that you upload and share on your feed must be in the dimension 1200×630 pixels. This way you get the best image quality. In case image is above the mentioned pixels, Facebook automatically resizes the image or in some cases crops it. If cropped, your image could get affected.
#ThisLittleBird has more than 365 million users across the globe. Twitter is a microblogging and social networking platform and can give you amazing content engagement within seconds.While creative micro messages and the right hashtags work their way to a great content engagement on twitter,to make you tweets even more visually effective the images you share must be perfect. Twitter resizes or crops your photos to give you better image results. However, make sure you remember these things while you upload images to gain maximum image quality –
- Profile image: Largely viewed on any social media platform, on twitter make sure your profile image dimensions are 400×400 pixels. On most devices your profile picture will exhibit 200×200 pixels, still make sure you upload your image in 400×400 pixel dimension. Also make sure the file size of your profile picture does not exceed 2MB. Follow an aspect ratio of 1:1 here.
- Twitter Header: This is located on the top of your twitter page. Remember that files with the extension of JPG, GIF or PNG are accepted for upload. The header photo dimensions are recommended at 1500×1500 pixels and are spread across the page on top and hence it needs a high-resolution image. Make sure that your file size does not exceed 5MB for better results.
- Timeline Photos: Your timeline is crucial to increase engagement on your profile. Content along with quality Images always make a good impact. The dimensions for this section are 1024×512 pixels. Make sure you maintain an aspect ratio of 2:1.
LinkedIn is one of the fastest grown social networking sites for professionals to connect with each other, be updated with the corporate world and lookup professional opportunities across the globe. Like other social networking platforms, LinkedIn too displays a profile picture and cover photo. However, here they are differentiated depending on the type of page you opt for. There are 2 types Personal and Business. So here not only individuals but also organizations can have a separate page for themselves. Let’s look at both these types and what image dimensions does LinkedIn follow for various –
- Profile Picture: Here the minimum profile picture dimensions are 200×200 pixels and the aspect ratio 1:1. The file size must not exceed more than 10MB.
Cover Photo: For a cover photo the minimum dimensions are 1584×396 pixels, while the aspect ratio is 129:8 and the maximum file size 4MB.
- Profile Picture: The minimum profile photo dimensions for this type of profile is 300×300 pixels. Here the aspect ratio is 1:1 and the maximum file size is 4MB.
- Cover Photo: The minimum dimensions for a business/ company cover photo is 1536×768 pixels. Make sure the aspect ratio is 2:1 and file size does not exceed 4MB
Well, if you follow or have subscribed to a YouTube channel, you may have seen profile photos, thumbnails and channel banner photos. On YouTube images matter too apart from just videos because these are the first visuals that get viewers curious to visit your channel and later the video content leads to subscription. So, these have got to be perfect if you want more people to visit your YouTube channel. To make sure they do, you just need to follow the below image sizes –
- The dimension for a YouTube profile photo/ Channel icon is 800×800 pixels.
- Thumbnail images are recommended to be 1280×720 pixels.
- The YouTube Banner image size is recommended to be 2120×1192 pixels.
There are many other social media platforms that follow such image dimensions. However, I have chosen the top 5 social media sites and shared an overview of how image sizing works with them. Now, the next and the most crucial question is how do you resize an image? Well, stay tuned on the ‘The Photographers Blog’ to know more.
Meanwhile, we would love to hear from you and answer some of your queries regarding the topic…Till then, Happy Reading…!!